Retirement can be a mixed blessing. It comes with time to explore new interests, travel, and fulfill other dreams, but it also means spending a LOT more time together. This often brings unanticipated stress, sometimes to the brink of divorce.
Here are some tips for easing through the transition:
- Maintain your usual routines, activities, and social contacts
- Plan outings together that you both enjoy
- Change up the sharing of tasks, eg. finances, cooking, cleaning
- Make time every day to listen and support your partner
- Most importantly, talk about it
Things that you might have put up with about your partner in the past are suddenly front and center. It’s important to deal with them, and talk about your differences and longings openly and frankly.
Need some help? Take the first step: Talk to Fran.